[Metalab] free software jobs: Guardian Project seeks Python, Android, iOS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Nov 29 13:08:56 CET 2016

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this. We're hiring, and I'd
especially like to find someone in Vienna since I live here.  :)  This
post is in English since English is the main working language.
Collaborators live and work all over the world.

https://guardianproject.info/contact/join/

Jobs

You – We’re looking for developers of all levels to join us – primarily
mobile application developers with skills ranging from user interface
design down to the core app work at the network and data level. For
experienced developers we expect you to have at least one app released
in public and prefer that you have experience with open-source and
community-led projects. Experience with security software and standards
is desired, but not required. The ability to assist in the localization
of software to different regions / languages is a plus.

Responsibilities – Dependent on seniority, but ideally you’ll be able to
confidently take the reins of the overall project engineering processes
– specifically software build and release, version control management
and software testing. Act as the lead engineer and be responsible for
pushing releases to app store(s), markets and other distribution points.
Be the team’s primary internal contributor of original project code.

All work is contract-based and is not limited by geography.

If you are interested in the opportunities below, send a resume or link
to relevant work through one of our contact methods:
https://guardianproject.info/contact/
jobs at guardianproject.info

Internships

We’re always on the look-out for energetic, enthusiastic, and capable
interns.

You – While an aptitude for development is preferred, all that is
required is a passion for mobile devices, an interest in security, the
eagerness to learn and the ability to be self-directed and productive.

The Opportunity – You will be exposed to some of the most advanced work
being done in the field of mobile privacy, while at the same time
contributing to the general good of humanity and gaining real-world
production development experience. If that isn’t enough, then you may
also end up with a Guardian-enabled Android device of your own.

Responsibilities – Your work will include testing software, working with
NGOs and activist groups to setup and use Guardian software, producing
online tutorials and guides, and even social media promotion work.

CURRENT OPEN POSITIONS

December 2016: Python developer with a love for fun and privacy needed
for open source
mobile security project.

Guardian Project has a contract opening for someone who can help us
expand our work on building usable, friendly privacy enhancing apps for
Android, focused on working on the python backend for a free software
app store (F-Droid).

* at least 2 years working with Python
* Android experience very relevant
* comfortable working with Free Software communities in public
* Debian/Ubuntu experience is also interesting
* an understanding of web development is useful

Your work will be 100% Free Software. There are lots of other possible
chunks of work, depending on your skillset, including:

* Android development
* iOS and macOS apps
* cross-platform desktop app
* technical community management, including translation and localization

The working language is English. Other language skills are a bonus,
including Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Spanish, Tibetan, Turkish.

If you have a knack and passion for usability, are team-oriented,
dependable, and deliverable high quality work on time, then you’re a
great fit for this project! Examples of existing released apps or other
projects contributed to is a must. References will also be expected.

Your focus will be on a rewarding sub-project of the Guardian Project
Team, but participation in the larger mission and community is highly
encouraged. We pay top of the line for an open source, grant funded
project organization. The upside is you can literally live anywhere you
wish [almost!], and other than a few scheduled scrums, set your own
schedule.

Underrepresented minorities in technology are especially encouraged to
apply.

December 2016: Program / Engineering Manager with a dash of Dev Ops
needed for open source mobile security project.

Guardian Project has a contract opening for someone who can improve our
product build+test+release cycle for a mobile app at the cutting edge of
usable security, combining privacy and security with usability and
simplicity.

You’ll provide coordination and encouragement to our far flung heroic
team of developers, designers and testers. Experience with setting up
automated mobile builds and testing through cloud device testing
services is particularly helpful.

If you’re super organized, detailed oriented, deadline driven,
dependable, strive for the best and not satisfied with less, this
contract is for you!

Your focus will be on a rewarding sub-project of the Guardian Team, but
participation in the larger mission and community is highly encouraged.
We pay top of the line for an open source, grant funded project
organization. The upside is you can literally live anywhere you wish
[almost!], and other than a few scheduled scrums, set your own schedule.

Underrepresented minorities in technology are especially encouraged to
apply.

December 2016: iOS developer with a love for fun and privacy needed for
open source mobile security project.

Guardian Project has a contract opening for someone who can help us
expand our work on building usable, friendly privacy enhancing apps for
iPhone and iPad.

If you have a knack and passion for usability, are team-oriented,
dependable, and deliverable high quality work on time, then you’re a
great fit for this project! A bias towards Swift rather than Objective-C
is preferred. Examples of existing released apps or other projects
contributed to is a must. References will also be expected.

Your focus will be on a rewarding sub-project of the Guardian Team, but
participation in the larger mission and community is highly encouraged.
We pay top of the line for an open source, grant funded project
organization. The upside is you can literally live anywhere you wish
[almost!], and other than a few scheduled scrums, set your own schedule.

Underrepresented minorities in technology are especially encouraged to
apply.

.hc

--
PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556