[Metalab] USB uC (was: SMD verarbeiten)

Bernhard Kuemel bernhard at bksys.at
Thu Apr 22 17:36:28 CEST 2010

Marius Kintel wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2010, at 16:16 PM, Bernhard Kuemel wrote:
>
>> Welche Moeglichkeiten haben wir im metalab, SMD Bauteile zu
>> verarbeiten?
>>
> We do this all the time; designing & etching PCB's, manual SMD
> soldering, solder paste + oven or hot air gun. SOIC, TSOP, SOT, QPF,
> QFN has been successfully used to my knowledge.

Ahh, great.

> I don't have experience with Atmel's USB chips. Last time I checked,
> they were somehow dependant on having a Windows machine available to
> talk to the USB bootloader, so I kind of lost interest.

IC. I chose Atmels because they were well supported by Linux: Compiler,
programmer software, connection via parallel port. What USB
microcontrollers are good for Linux? Full or high speed. I'd like to
sample random bits from avalanche diode noise and get it into a PC (via
USB). And maybe make a BIOS chip programmer (LPC PLCC32), as I can't
find a compatible main board to hot flash my chip and I don't like to
pay for having it done (only 10e, but still). Maybe I'll use the serial
port for this.

>> Also muss ich vielleicht zum Testen einen SMD uC vorher auf eine
>> Testplatine loeten, die in ein Breadboard passt.
>
> See http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1904

Yes, only dual inline for the bread board.

Bernhard