[Metalab] Open Money (war Job-Angebot: PHP Programmierer)

Ian G iang at iang.org
Fri Nov 21 19:01:14 CET 2008

Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:

> This is *very* interesting. How about sharing your experience on the
> subject with us (maybe @linuxwochen or one of the next events like
> linuxwochenende @metalab?), I'd be very interested, still remember a
> discussion with you on the subject at some netculturelab event (on
> innovation, I think)

Could be, I think there was a talk at MQ sometime on money where we
might have met.

> I've written up some more things I read since my talk at linuxwochenende on
> http://blog.runtux.com/ in particular there is an interesting (but quite
> dead, unfortunately, which seems to confirm your thesis) project named
> opencoin.

I just took a look at opencoin and spotted the first normal flaw:  they
are obsessed with cryptography and protocols.  These guys never get
further than that.  Money is not crypto, nor pieces of paper, but a
whole business architecture of which the tech stuff is maybe 10%, and
the crypto is maybe 10% of that.

E.g., in my code, the crypto is around 2kloc, whereas the whole stuff is
around 100kloc and will happily go another zero if given the resources.
  Chaumian blinding can be done in 2000 lines, anywhere, any time, and
that is way too small a part to drive the application.

iang