[Metalab] Open Money (war Job-Angebot: PHP Programmierer)

Ralf Schlatterbeck ralf at zoo.priv.at
Fri Nov 21 18:38:57 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:36:26AM -0500, Ian G wrote:

> > Ralf Schlatterbeck schrieb:
> >> Warum nicht was existierendes nehmen?
>
> One would think that!  But, the history of alternative money systems is
> littered with attempts to share software;  none have ever worked to my
> knowledge.  It was certainly the biggest mistake I made, it's unworkable
> to even give away software for lack of common agreement, let alone sell it.
>
> I guess this is because money is such a complex subject that nobody can
> agree on it.  It is like the proverbial elephant and the blind men.  All
> are holding a part and will not agree on what they feel.  If you put the
> Strohalm people in a room with the Paypal room, there won't be a single
> point of agreement, and I wouldn't agree with either of them :)

This is *very* interesting. How about sharing your experience on the
subject with us (maybe @linuxwochen or one of the next events like
linuxwochenende @metalab?), I'd be very interested, still remember a
discussion with you on the subject at some netculturelab event (on
innovation, I think)

I've written up some more things I read since my talk at linuxwochenende on
http://blog.runtux.com/ in particular there is an interesting (but quite
dead, unfortunately, which seems to confirm your thesis) project named
opencoin.

Ralf
--
Ralf Schlatterbeck