[Metalab] Anyone in the 'lab got PonyProg?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Mon May 5 10:48:18 CEST 2008

> First of all, I think you want to program this using normal C (avr-
> gcc) instead of Bascom.

I want to, yes, but the 11 year old kid I built the mignon for doesn't
really have the chops quite yet to deal with avr-gcc .. normally I
would use avr-gcc, yes, for sure ..

> In case, AVRDUDE should work for uploading programs. It might be some
> work to get it up and running in terms of mapping which ports do
> which, and implement whatever basic libraries are available in C.

.. yeah, i could take that approach, but the advantage of the mignon
gamekit, which is a gift for a kid who needs it more than it is a
hacker project for me right now, is that there are tons of other
applications written by other 11-year old kids, and those are, alas ..
in BASIC.

> You could probably use Arduino as well, as this is the same controller
> as on early Arduino boards, although the bootloader and pinout
> probably aren't 100% compatible.

I've got Arduino's in my toolchest, no worries there Marius!  Its just
that I want to finish this mignon gamekit thing and get a few of the
kid-contributed samples uploaded and made available for the person for
whom this kit is intended ..

> I'm not going to be very available this week, but I can definitely get
> you up and running when I'm back middle of next week.

I'm hoping when you return next week we can put in some serious time
on other AVR-related matters indeed, and yes for sure GCC is going to
be my tool of choice.  Just, for the mignon, having a PonyProg around
would be helpful ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan