[Metalab] Google's FLoC is a Terrible Idea (was: grünen Pass gemeinschaftlich mitgestalten)

Peter Kuhm peter at null.priv.at
Fri Mar 26 13:54:55 CET 2021

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 08:10:50 +0100 Ralf Schlatterbeck via Metalab wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 05:11:04AM +0100, Peter Kuhm via Metalab wrote:

> > Die prinzipielle Kritik an Google versteh ich gut.
> > Auch jetzt mit neuer Schandtat FLoC:
> > https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/03/foilies-2021
>
> FLoC? Hab ich in obigem Link nicht gefunden.

sry, hab den falschen Link erwischt:

--- snip ----

* Google's FLoC is a Terrible Idea Google is leading the charge to replace
* third-party cookies with a new suite of technologies to target ads on the web.
* And some of its proposals show that it hasn't learned the right lessons from
* the ongoing backlash to the surveillance business model. This post will focus
* on one of those proposals, Federated Learning of Cohorts (FLoC), which is
* perhaps the most ambitious--and potentially the most harmful. We emphatically
* reject the future of FLoC. That is not the world we want, nor the one users
* deserve. Google needs to learn the correct lessons from the era of third-party
* tracking and design its browser to work for users, not for advertisers.

Read more: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/03/googles-floc-terrible-idea

--- snap ---   --EFFector 33.2

cu,
Peter