[Metalab] Douglas Hofstadter trägt am 3.10. in Wien vor

Albert Rafetseder albert.rafetseder+metalab at univie.ac.at
Fri Sep 22 11:11:15 CEST 2017

Mahlzeit,

Douglas Hofstadter ist wieder in Wien und hält einen Vortrag [1]:

Prof. Douglas Hofstadter
Center for Research on Concepts and
Cognition, Indiana University, USA

"Analogy as the Core of Cognition"
3. Oktober 2017, 17:00 Uhr
Währinger Straße 38/HP, 1090 Wien, Carl Auer von Welsbach-Hörsaal

Der Text der Einladung [2] folgt am Ende diese Mails.

Schöne Grüße,
  Albert.

[1] https://cs.univie.ac.at/hofstadter2017
[2]
https://cs.univie.ac.at/fileadmin/user_upload/fak_informatik/NEWS/2017/doc/colloquien/20171003_hofstadter.pdf

----8<----

### Abstract
We have been taught by our culture that analogies are Grand Intellectual
Achievements, and analogies can indeed be very grand.  But we all make
non-grand analogies all the time, day in, day out, minute in, minute
out, second in, second out.  The ubiquity of analogies in thought is
nonetheless extremely hard for most people to appreciate, and some
people (including most cognitive scientists) strongly resist the idea,
because the smaller or humbler an analogy is, the less it feels like a
Grand Intellectual Achievement, and therefore not meritorious of the
label "analogy" as it has been imposed on us over the course of our
lives.  And thus the common conception of "analogy" as a Grand
Intellectual Achievement keeps on reinforcing itself, but unfortunately
that conception excludes 99 percent of the analogies that are made (if
not even more than that!).
The purpose of this talk is to show how analogies are everywhere around
us, almost invisible, yet blatant once one starts to become aware of
them.  Once one realizes that analogy-making pervades every nook and
cranny of our thinking and every single moment of our cognitive lives,
then one can develop a radically different perspective on what
thinking’s essence really is.

### Bio
Douglas Hofstadter (New York, 1945; B.S., mathematics, Stanford, 1965;
Ph.D., physics, University of Oregon, 1975) is College of Arts and
Sciences Distinguished Professor of Cognitive Science and Comparative
Literature, Indiana University, Bloomington. He discovered the first
fractal in physics ("Hofstadter’s butterfly"); in number theory, he
invented meta-Fibonacci sequences. His research involves computer models
of analogy-making in microworlds (Fluid Concepts and Creative
Analogies), viewing analogy as cognition’s core (Surfaces and Essences).
Aside from penning the column "Metamagical Themas" for Scientific
American (1981–83), he has explored "I" and consciousness in Gödel,
Escher, Bach (Pulitzer Prize, 1980), The Mind’s I, and I Am a Strange
Loop, has done literary translation (e.g., Pushkin’s Eugene Onegin),
written on translation (Le Ton beau de Marotand Translator, Trader), and
had expositions of his script-influenced line drawings, including
ambigrams. He calls himself "pilingual", his strongest foreign languages
being French and Italian.

--
PGP key fingerprint: 174F 7EC9 5FE6 7DDD 43B8  C772 5C0F 6EC3 D076 4DDF