[Metalab] E_BROKEN_TOOTH

Philip Poten philip.poten at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:30:37 CET 2014

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but dentists in Austria are
inexpensive compared to those in countries without "dental included"
public healthcare. An x-ray will cost you less than 40EUR, a half hour
work will probably be around 70-100EUR, depending if you need any
material beyond a pain injection. A friend of mine had a bad tooth and
paid privately all in all 110EUR at Dentalklinik Margarethen.

If you need just a bit of drilling + filling, you should get away with
<150EUR total, I'd wager it's even <100EUR. If it's prep for a root
canal, it might be on the higher side, but still not what you'd pay in
other countries. A white plastic filling costs between 20-40EUR
(depending on size), a lidocaine injection is around 15-20EUR (except
for root canal prep, where it should be included in the procedure).

You can also tell them about your situation with your european health
insurance card, and that you'll need a few days to have it sent to
you, and the dentists secretary will then lay away your money as
"collateral" which you'll get back as soon as you bring your EHIC.

Mind you: with EHIC you'll always pay the country's local fees for a
procedure (in case of austrian dentistry, next to nothing), the real
cost of which will be billed to your origin insurance - if the
procedures are not covered by your origin's insurance, you may get a
bill from them ...

TLDR; phone in, ask what they'll accept as collateral, bring that,
then tell them that you'll bring by your EHIC, then do it, get your
money back.

Oh, and I can recommend Dentalklinik Margarethen. Ask for Dr. Marinova
if you can, she really knows what she's doing.

cheers,
Philip