[Metalab] Vinyl-cut PCBs

overflo flo at tekstix.com
Thu Feb 21 15:40:03 CET 2013

hej!

> As I have slight phobia of etching and strong acids in general, I
> think I'll give this a try :)

i am also afraid of strong acids, but successfully etched pcbs in the past.
using precautions like protective eyewear, labcoats and gloves minimized
the risk of injury.

the approach with the vinylcutter seems to me like a no-good solution.

besides placing the traces by hand on some carrier material you loose a
lot of accuracy.
the vinylcutter can not cut very fine lines.
so this is no possible solution for TQFP packages or other small parts
with tiny pads.
and for all the other parts you can simply use lochrasterplatinen.
they come in all forms and shapes, even for SMD components.
also we have a rather large assortment of SMD breakoutboards in the
bauteilsortiment.

if you still want to give this  a try please document your progress i
would really like to see what comes out of this.

:*
-flo

ps: i once tried to use the lasercutter + copperplate + black spraypaint
to create a pcb ..
it kind of worked but not so good.. i think its a question of the right
combination of spraypaint and power on the lazzzor.
of course with this method you then need the acid again..
i was reading about some conductive ink once on hackaday.
pcb printer anyone?