[Metalab] copyleft designs for 3d printers

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Wed Apr 17 17:24:42 CEST 2013

Copyleft, the copyright licencing reciprocity hack introduced by RMS as a
core element of the GPL license, is built on top of copyright law.
Providing source code of modifications of a GPL'd program is only an
obligation when you distribute copies of the derived program. And only
those people who received copies from you can demand access to the
respective source code, under the terms of the license.

If we try to make a parallel to 3d printing, then we must ask ourselves
wheter printing a physical object triggers copyright law or not. I'm unsure
about that, Maybe copyright law is not as strong a machanism for
implementing the copyleft concept in hardware.

Also, lots of people are using software/content licenses such as the GPL
v2/v3/or later and CC By-SA for hardware designs and 2d/3d models for laser
cutters and 3d printers.
I'm not sure if these licenses are appropriate for that purpose, since
there's no mention of hardware aspects in those licenses. People can
understand an intention behind such licensing, in terms of analogies. But I
don't believe it is strong enough to rely on analogies when we risk facing
legal disputes.