[Metalab] Talk: Sentiment Analysis - 26.05.2011

Amir Hassan amir at viel-zu.org
Tue May 24 18:54:08 CEST 2011

Hey,

Rober Zinkov (from Los Angeles) dropped by the Metalab yesterday and told
me about the talk he is going to give at the WU. It's about sentiment
analysis in text data, and sounds really interesting. So if you want to
know how emotions are extracted from your twitter posts for fun and profit:

Abstract:
Over the last decade, researchers have discovered that text can be
analyzed for its emotion content. Opinions can be readily extracted
 from documents about various topics and products. This presentation
will cover the various smaller tasks involved in performing sentiment
analysis. This will include extraction patterns, both unsupervised and
feature-based learning methods. I will cover how sentiment
dictionaries are built and sentiment is seeded. I will also discuss
how sentiment analysis interacts with other existing natural language
processing systems such as entity extractors and summarization
algorithms. This talk will assume basic familiarity with machine
learning and natural language processing algorithms.

It will be in the Computer Lab on the 5th floor of the Statistics
Building at the Business School. It will be on 26/5/2011 at 16:00.
Everyone is welcome to go.

Institut für Statistik und Mathematik
WU (Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien)
Augasse 2-6