[Devops] Topics next devops meetup

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed Jun 20 01:20:39 CEST 2012

On 18.06.2012 15:06, Maciej Pasternacki wrote:
> Michael (both of you, actually) - great! I'm writing down proper announcement, then.

since we had a good talk in the break about hannes' nagios and such, it
was rather logical to step onto his nagios demo thingy, and drop my
boring slides on icinga, but do some demoing on a production instance of
icinga, plus some general dropins instead.

- the tfnoc slides i did not show, but shortly introduced them
http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-noc/meeting6/programme.html

- the bug and feature comparison i was showing on the screen can be
found here
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/Dev/Bug+and+Feature+Comparison

- the mentioned nagios workshop can be found on the nagios wiki (which
is done by the guys doing the monitoring-portal.org)
http://nagios-wiki.de/workshop/2012/start

. the not-architecture how check_mk wraps around the core, and prevents
actual development can be found on slide 3. keep in mind that our
production servers *only* use snmp checks and inventory, since there's
nothing in comparison in this area.
http://nagios-wiki.de/_media/workshop/2012/2012-monitoring-workshop-mathias-kettner-wato.pdf

- the custom dashboard query is not publicly available, but if needed, i
can share a basic example.

- pnp4nagios with rrd backend for debian
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Setting+up+PNP+with+Icinga+on+Debian
- enable rrdcached as performance enhancement
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Enable+RRDCached+in+PNP
- general on performance tuning, also IDOUtils
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Icinga+performance+analysis
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Optimize+Icinga+Performance
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Optimize+IDOUtils+performance

- netways addon - NoMa, notification manager out-of-bound the core
logic, extended filters, etc (question was regarding on-call notifications)
http://www.netways.de/de/produkte/nagios_icinga_addons/noma/
- netways addon - inGraph, rdbms backed graphing tool, zoomable,
extendable statistics
http://www.netways.de/de/produkte/nagios_icinga_addons/ingraph/
- the netways open source tracker
https://www.netways.org

- icinga packages
https://www.icinga.org/download/packages/

- nagios2icinga upgrade notes - the extended version
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Migrate+from+Nagios+to+Icinga

- config tools - use whatever you like most - nagiosql, nconf, lconf,
puppet, chef, etc

- icinga feedback tracker
http://feedback.icinga.org
- the icinga team...
http://www.icinga.org/team/
- ... to find the most active committers, either get some git, get onto
ohloh or watch gource videos ;)
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/Dev/Riding+the+Git
http://www.ohloh.net/p/icinga/contributors
https://www.icinga.org/2012/05/06/3-years-old-100000-downloads/

as said before, mostly everything on install guides can be found in the
docs and the wiki. if not there, start contributing by committing your
own to the wiki, or open an issue for the docs tracker :)

Michael mentioned, that news flashes on icinga & its ecosystem would be
a good idea on every following devop meetup, so let's try that :-) Plus
it would be great to see some sort of "migration in progress" notifies,
or similar - maybe someone does config deployment with puppet/chef, or
had a peek into mcollective and such?

btw - icinga uses tap for perl tests, and libtap for C tests (run
configure and make test in the source tree).

thanks for the nice ideas, i still got some new ones ;-)

kind regards,
Michael

email:     michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
phone:     +43 1 4277 14359