[Metalab] Who CAN BUS?

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Fri May 1 16:55:50 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 04:37:49PM +0200, Markus Kienast wrote:
> Herbert,

Markus,

> do you know anything a little more integrated than that chip?

With "more integrated" you mean a breakout board
or similar for that purpose, right?

I know there are several breakout boards for the
various CAN Bus Tranceiver chips available online,
like for example for the Microchip MCP2551.
http://skpang.co.uk/catalog/canbus-breakout-board-p-754.html

Just google for CAN-Bus (Breakout) Board and you
will find a number of those.

Best,
Herbert

> Regards,
> Markus

> On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert at 13thfloor.at> wrote:

>> On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 03:36:16PM +0200, Markus Kienast wrote:
>>> Hi Erwin,

>> Hey Markus!

>>> thank you for offering your advice.

>>> Well, my first question would be, how to wire this thing.
>>> I got a Banana Pi, which allegedly comes with a CAN bus
>>> interface.

>>> However, when I look at the docs for the pin layout, I
>>> find RX and TX but not CAN_L and CAN_H.

>>> http://www.tinyonetutorials.com/pdf/Banana%20PI%20%20user%20manual.pdf
>>> See page 18 on the top.

>>> So I am trying to understand what that means and how I am
>>> supposed to wire this the CAN bus of my heating system.

>> You probably need a CAN Bus Tranceiver (like the TJA1057)
>> for that to work, which handles the physical CAN bus and
>> interfaces the CAN bus controller on your board.

>> Best,
>> Herbert

>>> Regards,
>>> Markus