[Metalab] FR PCB Milling Machine V1.0 Released

Jan Luc Santos Tavares jan.luc at ufrgs.br
Tue Sep 30 19:24:10 CEST 2014

Hi there, folks. (Sorry, I'm not good at German).
I know you're a
group of makers, so you might be interested.

 We would like to invite
all interested in open hardware to help us build a community of users,
makers, and developers around an Open Source Printed Circuit Board
prototyping machine.
 We have just finished assembling the first FR PCB
MILLING MACHINE, named after FURNARIUS RUFUS, an oven bird that builds
its nest with earth, much alike current digital fabrication techniques.
Our initial design was based on the following directives:

 	* Easy to
build;
 	* Worldwide availability of parts;
 	* Low cost without
compromising precision and durability;
 	* Able to provide SMD-ready
circuit boards;
 	* Low maintenance cost.

The project is available
under CERN Open Hardware License V1.2 at a public repository that hosts
specification and fabrication details for each part for the FR PCB
Milling Machine. Additionally, we have included a description of each
step executed for the fabrication and assembly of the first prototype
(in Portuguese). More info:

 	* Project website in English at Open
Hardware Repository [1] [1]

 	* Git repository [2] [2]
 	* Mailing List
[3] [3]

 	* Project website in Portuguese [4] [4]

We believe that a
common infrastructure for design, simulation, construction, and use of
open scientific and educational instrumentation represent a critical
step in the advancement of human knowledge. We call this concept the
OPEN WORKBENCH. In our approach, the Open Workbench contains a set of
low cost and open source digital fabrication tools for prototyping and
small scale manufacturing of open scientific and educational
instruments. A low cost, Open Source PCB Milling Machine represent a
logical addition to the currently available tools such as free software
CAD tools and open source 3D printers. While we expect to continue the
improvement of the FR PCB Milling Machine with the help of new
contributors and community feedback, we are also planning on the
development of additional digital fabrication tools with your feedback.
Please join our mailing list [5] [3] and let us know what you think. For
more information on the development of the OPEN WORKBENCH, please visit
the page at wikiversity [6][5].

 As any open source project anyone is
free to pursue on its use, study, modification, and distribution.
Below
are some suggestions on how you can help to develop the Open Workbench.

 	* Building and documenting the fabrication of your own FR PCB
Milling Machine;
 	* Include local suppliers of parts and services in
order help others near you building their own
 	* Developing upgrades
and enhancing the current version of the machine;
 	* Sharing
educational and scientific projects that use the FR PCB Milling
Machine;
 	* Help in translating the documentation to other languages;

	* Refine existing free software to run and use this machine (CAD, CAM
and Firmwares);
 	* Providing input for the next digital fabrication
tool to be added to the OPEN WORKBENCH;
 	* Spreading the news.

Thanks,
THE FR PCB MILLING MACHINE V1.0 DEVELOPMENT TEAM.

 [1] -
http://www.ohwr.org/projects/fr_pcb_mm
 [2] -
http://www.ohwr.org/projects/fr_pcb_mm/repository