[Metalab] Hands-On GIT Workshop

Chris Hager chris at linuxuser.at
Wed May 28 21:49:11 CEST 2014

Hello!

Thanks for participating in the first Git workshop session yesterday! Next
time we will start "projects" in small groups to slowly get into practicing
techniques and workflows. The second session will be in 2 weeks, on *Tuesday
10.5.2014, 19:00* (and I'll be a bit better prepared for such a large
group). :)

I'd like to invite everyone not quite familiar with single-user Git
workflows to come to a small "beginner workshop" where we can practice
everything for 1 or 2 hours. Lets meet next week on *Tuesday 3.5.2014,
19:00* in the Metalab Library.

Thanks to everyone contributing to the shared PiratePad (really cool to see
notes and questions being collected in the background), and to Phileas and
the others who cleaned up the shared PiratePad (now in our workshop repo:
https://github.com/metachris/metalab-git-workshop/blob/master/NOTES-2014-05-27.md
).

workshop communication will happen there, so please sign up (
https://lists.metalab.at/mailman/listinfo/git-workshop).

Finally I'd like to collect a little bit of feedback. If you have a few
minutes, filling out this 5 question survey would be appreciated:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KHDY25J

Cheers,
Chris

If you want something to practice, try to update your git-workshop fork
with the new upstream changes. If you want to exercise more, try this:

1. Create a local repo and make a few commits
2. Create 2 new branches where you make commits, then merge everything into
master
3. Create a test Github repository, add this remote to your local git
repository, and push your changes
4. Create a feature branch with a few commits
5. Push the feature branch to Github
6. On the Github web interface, create a pull request for your feature
branch to master

More exercises: http://jnthn.net/training/git/exercises.pdf

Feel encouraged to chat about the exercises on the
git-workshop at lists.metalab.at mailing list