[Metalab] 4D Printing is the Future of Design - Please comment on this

Benjamin Klemencic benjamin at klemencic.org
Mon Feb 10 13:36:25 CET 2014

3D printing is awesome and it started  at the Metalab Vienna (to become affordable resp DIY) as far as I know but what about 4D?

http://www.ted.com/talks/skylar_tibbits_the_emergence_of_4d_printing.html

I'd love to read your comments!

Here are some impressive examples of 3D I've duckduckgoed (googled) for recently. Please feel free to link to other examples!

☞ 3D printer creating ORGAN tissues:
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/02/06/3-d-printer-creates-organ-tissue/

☞ 3D printing candy
http://candyfab.org

☞ 3D printing chocolate
https://chocedge.com/3dprinting.php

☞ 3D printing metals
(using laser sintering as a difference to Fused Deposition Modeling FDM used in RepRap, Makerbot and other DIY 3D printers. Filament is most often the bioplastic *) PLA (Polylactid with properties like Polyethylen high-density HDPE or the thermoplast ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene which is based on petroleum (*bad bad bad*)))
http://www.engineering.com/3DPrinting/3DPrintingArticles/ArticleID/6903/Mitsubishi-to-Introduce-Metal-3D-Printer-in-North-America.aspx

☞ 3D printing mud & seed
(I <3 this Grass Art)
http://makezine.com/2014/01/23/mud-seed-become-3d-printed-grass-art/

☞ 3D printed houses
(watch this TEDx talk showing a 3D printer which builds a house in 20 hours:)
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehnzfGP6sq4

☞ Please feel free to comment with links to other examples!

*) great source for bio-based materials:
http://www.bio-based.eu/ibib/

Thank you in advance for your answer(s)!
Best regards, Benjamin