[Metalab] Frauen im Metalab

夏博洋 b.xia at gmx.at
Wed Jun 26 22:07:38 CEST 2013

Gibt es reguläre Events/Meetings für weibliche Mitglieder bzw. Besucher
des Metalabs?

lg, B

Anstoss vom
http://blackse.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/if-i-can-do-it-so-can-you/

    *Feeling insecure…*

    Carrying out research for a PhD in computer science and going to
    academic conferences I was very much in a minority as a woman. The
    ratio was around 2:8 female to male, or lower, and sometimes this
    made things a bit uncomfortable. I remember going to one conference
    where, after being told by my supervisor that I needed to network at
    conferences, I approached a couple of guys during a break to discuss
    the previous session. I plucked up courage and said something
    friendly about the last speaker to start a conversation with them.
    They looked me up and down, and then started talking to each other
    as if I hadn’t said anything. I stood there feeling really silly,
    realized after about thirty seconds that they were going to continue
    to ignore me, and then walked away feeling absolutely mortified.

    I had a few other encounters similar to this, and of course some
    good ones too, but I never felt completely at ease in that type of
    situation. That was until I went to a conference in Brussels for
    women in science. This time there were about one hundred women and
    two men. As I walked into the conference room and stood looking
    around wondering where to go and sit, a woman came over and started
    talking to me. We had a great chat and joined a conversation with
    some other women, probably about why we were at the conference and
    what we hoped to get out of it. What an amazing difference. I met
    some truly amazing, inspiring and supportive women. That conference
    changed my life.

    I had thought that it was me, and my lack of social skills, that was
    preventing me from enjoying academic life to the full. Now I
    realized that wasn’t the case.

    **