[Metalab] Demo gegen PRISM

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Wed Jun 12 12:21:16 CEST 2013

> BTW, wer wundert sich eigentlich über die recenten Entwicklungen? Haben wir das nicht eh schon alle lang gewußt?

I think the thinking in the current pitch goes "we knew they were listening, we didn't know they were recording.  Everything."

Also, keep in mind that Wikileaks was stifled, and thus this is a new fork of the base.  Which is, actually all things considered, good news; there need to be more whistleblowers coming from this. The only way to defeat the corruption is to reveal all secrets, since the corruption of all governments, in history, begins with its secrets.

Also, there is the 'all new news has to happen every 2 or 3 years, on a cycle, because teenagers->adults happens yearly and new waves of kids need to know what is going on' factor.  I don't know how best to describe it other than yes, its the 17th time we've heard the details about the criminal snooping ring and various other scary things except that if you've just turned 18, and are thus eligible to VOTE, probably you haven't heard of it.  Or, if you haven't heard of all this shit by now, its time you did, citizen.

My personal opinion though, is that I hope this bigger NSA situation means that society will *EMBRACE* open and clear and honest and shared communications even more willingly and freely; I don't know if that will occur, but it always seems to me to be that if everyone on the planet had their own TV show, like, flatly, or equally, or say with even human distribution, we'd solve the doom syndrome rather pleasantly, and could probably move on to other things entirely as a species ..

However, and this is a quandry, I observe this: privacy is a lie we have to keep telling ourselves.  It takes effort to hide something, always.  And in addition, our most enormous human achievement today: the Internet, was always a revolution, because people share.  They communicate.  The Internet is a Peace Machine.  The steps away on your average traceroute are exactly the opposite of PRISM: here, I want you to know this about me.  We don't properly measure how much of true human communication is really going on, but some Operator, out there somewhere, probably knows how to get daily statistics of just how many humans communicated, successfully, with each other daily.  It will be a pity if Privacy becomes a reason why the Internet starts to fail, and the trend of communication faulters from this attack on Communication, in a downward spiral.

So .. if anything, an appropriate response to any General Public propagation of some 'meme about the NSA', (imho) would be: hey, people, on the subject of 'Privacy', here is actually a huge free and open network where anyone can spy on anyone, any time, because that is its open, stated public purpose and {btw, you can choose to join us if you want}.  I'm quite happy having no privacy about my torrent stats, and want to share that with my friends, and so on .. which, if catered to only by dialectic means, will be the real victim of the Privacy debate.

Privacy?  Okay.  Massive distribution to everyone, with full quality, of the things I *choose* to communicate?  Yup.  Still got that feature, and want it for all mankind.

tl;dr, I'd love the NSA if I had root.

;
--
Jay Vaughan