[Metalab] 'I understood gender discrimination once I added “Mr.” to my resume and landed a job'

Boyang Xia b.xia at gmx.at
Sat Jul 13 09:55:43 CEST 2013

Wahrscheinlich lesen viele von euch Hacker News. Für jene, die das nicht
tun, ist hier ein interessanter Artikel über Frauen in der Berufswelt.
http://qz.com/103453/i-understood-gender-discrimination-after-i-added-mr-to-my-resume-and-landed-a-job/:

    My choice to brand the CV with a bold positioning of my name
    actually seemed to scream that I was a woman. I could easily imagine
    many of the people I had worked for discarding the document without
    even reading further. If they did read further, the next thing they
    saw (as politeness declared at the time) was a little personal
    information, and that declared I was married with kids. I had put
    this in because I knew many employers would see it as showing
    stability, but when I viewed it through the skewed view of
    middle-aged men who thought I was a woman, I could see it was just
    further damning my cause. I doubt if many of the managers I had
    known would have made it to the second page.

    I made one change that day. I put Mr. in front of my name on my CV.
    It looked a little too formal for my liking but I got an interview
    for the very next job I applied for. And the one after that. It all
    happened in a fortnight, and the second job was a substantial
    increase in responsibility over anything I had done before. In the
    end I beat out a very competitive short-list and enjoyed that job
    for the next few years, further enhancing my career.

    Where I had worked previously, there was a woman manager. She was
    the only one of about a dozen at my level, and there were none at
    the next level. She had worked her way up through the company over
    many years and was very good at her job. She was the example
    everyone used to show that it could be done, but that most women
    just didn’t want to. It’s embarrassing to think I once believed
    that. It’s even more incredible to think many people still do.