[Metalab] Windowfarming

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Sat Apr 27 11:00:29 CEST 2013

"House with a Garden"-based gardener here, checking in ..

> Nachdem ja angeblich der Stadtkompost nicht zur Kompostierung verwendet
> werden kann weil die Leut zu viel anderen Mist reinschmeissen, waers sehr
> interessant ob man damit nicht vielleicht einen Bioreaktor am Balkon
> befeuern koennte der dann gleich Kraeutertopferde ausspuckt...

Everyone should be composting their food scraps by normal, instead of throwing them away!  You can build your own compost, if you have some outside space, pretty easy, but there are also ways to do internal compost if you have the inside space, as well (it involves lots of worms, mostly).

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-make-your-own-indoor-co-138645

http://www.theurbanworm.com/

(I live in a house, have a big compost, and our garden is currently undergoing massive growth .. we already ate our first spring salads!)

As for the soil issue, we have found that the local Mühl-platz has lots of good soil for the taking, and we've been adding new soil to our garden every year by just simply taking the trash to the platz, and then returning with big filled up tubs from the dirt pile left for us by the friendly Mühl-Blokes.

This might be different for you guys in the city of Vienna .. *BUT* .. if there is interest, I would *love* to help you city-dwellers get some decent cheap soils to be using for the window-gardening .. so if there is a WindowGardeners workshop, count me in!

Also, one thing that is very important with WindowGardening (as we did it a year or two when we lived in the city of Vienna) is that you get really good seed stock to work with.  Like, best is when you've got a Grandma or Auntie in the family who might have some seeds worth propelling into the future, you know .. stuff that has really survived .. and I hope that everyone will seriously consider all heirloom species with a priority, folks!  Mono-culture, even here in GREEN AUSTRIA, is definitely a garden-killer .. variety should be a driving force behind the micro-garden movement (in my opinion, which isn't scientific, but I sure do love my proper heirloom tomatoes and carrots and beans and things..)

Anyway, if there's a workshop, I'm in!  :)

;
--
Jay Vaughan