[Metalab] URL-encoded SMS message sending?

Stefan Schlesinger sts at ono.at
Fri Jan 28 15:53:23 CET 2011

Hey Jay.

On Jan 28, 2011, at 14:09 , Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> well, and since you asked for http get i think hosting your own sms gateway is a good option: http://www.kannel.org/. kannel is simply cool and works very well.
> Thats great!  Thanks Amir, I'll look into using this..

It depends on the amount of messages and time you'd like to
invest, basically here are your three options:

*) One option would be to ask austrian mobile providers for
   a "SMS-Large-Account" (IP connection to a SMSC), which
   might be the cheapest option for larger volumes.

*) If you are looking for smaller volumes and don't want to
   invest much time in building your own gateway, I can
   recommend Multi-Tech, they build small GSM appliances,
   which provide a HTTP API interface:

	http://www.multitech.com/en_US/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemiSMS/
	http://www.multitech.net/developer/

   I bought one from Sphinx Computer [http://www.s-connect.at/]
   for my previous employer.

*) Another option would be, to just get an old cell-phone with a
   serial/usb cable connected to your linux box and tread it with
   Gammu/SMSD. http://www.gammu.org

   Which also works fine if you choose the right hardware and might
   be the best option if you cannot to rely on your network for
   messaging (eg. your monitoring system).

Regards,

Stefan.