[Metalab] Project Ideas

Chris Hager chris at linuxuser.at
Thu Jul 29 17:15:57 CEST 2010

Hey guys,

 From my previous Android games, more than 10,000 users submitted their
email addresses (optionally). Now I'm planning to start a weekly
Android-Games email newsletter with a particular focus on multiplayer
games. One of the points I'm thinking about is how I can reliably send
that many emails without landing on spam indexes or encountering other
problems. Any advice / ideas? (I have my own root servers, SSL certs, etc).

I'm also thinking about extending the concept a bit further: The
newsletter will be all about Android games, therefore we need game
reviews. The current game review websites suck (like just a wordpress
with single posts). I have a couple of ideas how to build a great
community-based Android game-review site, and having reversed the
Android market protocol I also can directly access the user comments and
ratings of any particular app.

If would love if someone wants to participate in this - and there is
money to be made too. Help is appreciated in brainstorming, planning,
designing, starting, coding, any of the 1000 random things to do in a
startup... :) If you want to chat about things, hit me up! (Either in
person at metalab, metachris at jabber.metalab.at or 0676-5863730).

*

I'm also building a multiplayer engine and gameserver infrastructure
(currently available in beta for Android developers):
http://www.flockengine.com -- also there all of the above mentioned help
is be appreciated :) So far two games have been deployed which are using
my framework; on an average hour the infrastructure serves about 1000
players / 500 games.

*

Another project idea that I would _love_ to see (but don't really have
the time/energy to build) is a simple Android/iPhone app with all the
data of Vienna public transports. Then you could see which are the
closest stops to you and the departure times. For that we would need: 1)
title, gps coordinate and address of all stops (could be easily done by
building a quick website with google maps that reacts on a long click,
then we have gps+address and need to set the title), and 2) the
timetables (for that we could use the times of the first stops and take
the minutes it takes between each stop to interpolate). Could be fun and
done in a couple of days if we would be two or three people!

*

Cheers,
Chris