[Metalab] Vienna IT field salaries (Was: Metalab General Discussion List <metalab at lists.metalab.at>)

Sergey V. Mikhanov sergey at mikhanov.com
Mon Aug 2 11:13:57 CEST 2010

   Hi Matthew,

Displaimer: I'm an immigrant myself, came from Moscow four years ago,
so expect a bit of rant below.

The salaries are low given what you pay for living in Vienna. Ignore
what locals will tell you about the high standards and low costs of
living. Good roads condition, drinkable tapwater, virtually
non-existent crime and clean public transport are real, though are
something you would expect with such a high taxes (and I guess you
can't impress a New Zealander with efficient public transport as much
as Muscovite). Low costs of living are completely made up by locals
(sorry, folks!). Expect to pay above London prices in an average
supermarket, be prepared to know that there's no options for living on
tight budget here (considering both food and housing), and I guess you
already had a chance to encounter the "low costs" of Viennese estate
market when you have paid your "Kaution" and "Provision".

I work for big telco here (Java developer with 9+ years of experience)
and I'm a full-time employee. The salary range I have observed here is
3000-3800 EUR/month (before taxes), including PM and senior tech
positions. I seriously doubt there are higher salaries for
non-management IT positions here (everybody is welcome to prove me
wrong). I was considering switching to contractor position (my company
hires a lot of them), but after talking to taxman I discarded this
idea: in my case this would give me ~5% pay increase. What you will
get as a contractor is a really nice paycheck during the first year as
the taxes during that time will be low for you. What you will lose:
14% of your yearly income as there will be no double salaries on June
and December.

Here's a tax calculator for your needs:
https://www.bmf.gv.at/service/anwend/steuerberech/bruttonetto/_start.htm
"lfd. Bezug mtl" is monthly salary, "13./14. Bezug" are two additional
salaries (they are subject to lower taxes), "Jahresbezug" -- yearly
income. Look at "Netto" row.

And no matter what good offer you have now, bear in mind that it's
almost impossible to find a nice new job without speaking German.
Additionally, the job market here is tiny, so you also can't choose.

Couple more remarks on the comments you have already received:

> Tax is not only tax but also (obligatory) health/dental, accident
> and unemployment insurance

Not fully true about dental (fine print about amalgam fillings apply).

> can go well over ~10000/month (excl tax) for good positions, such
> as "senior" or "teamleader" in a telco or bank

I don't believe that.

Cheers,
Sergey