[Metalab] flamethrower anyone? - für Apokalypsenfestspiele Lindabrunn 30.8.

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at gnowsis.com
Thu Aug 20 19:16:00 CEST 2009

Ok,

Before we do it, I would reckon we collect some info about how to do it
safely,
lets continue the discussion off-list or on the wiki?

What if we meet this saturday around 15:00 to check our options?
my cellphone is "+43 6991 gnowsis"
Marius - can you send me yours offlist?

I collected some useful stuff here:
http://delicious.com/tag/metalabflamethrower

I would go for this flamethrower design, its piss-easy for DIY and
consists completly of off-the-shelf parts:
http://www.spontaneousfire.com/TOD_firecannons.htm

the electrical solenoid valve can be exchanged with a manual ball-valve
to reduce complexity.

for primary gas-tank I would go for something really small and handheld,
a camping-gaz container.
I have NO CLUE where to get the tubing nor the needed T-pieces nor the
valves nor stainless-steel-wool.
The gas will leak if we solder, or use tubing and valves that are not
specified for the pressures
of 250psi.
(probably the camping-gas tank has much lower pressure, but I would go
with the normal big-barrel quality grade material to be on the safe side)

Here are many facts on safety:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=22534

I would only go for it if the overall costs for me stay below 70 EUR
(saying, if it costs a lot, we should share costs)
and if we are sure we do not blow our brains out in a desastrous explosion.

best
Leo

It was Marius Kintel who said at the right time 20.08.2009 11:42 the
following words:
> Hi Leo,
>
> I'm not yet sure if I'll come to Lindabrunn..
> Nevertheless, I'm all for learning how to and building a flame thrower!
>
> ~/= Marius
>
> --
> We are Elektropeople for a better living.

Leo Sauermann,   Dr.
Founder

mail:   leo.sauermann at gnowsis.com
mobile: +43 6991 gnowsis