[Metalab] howto control windows position and size?

Clifford Wolf clifford at clifford.at
Sat Jan 12 00:10:59 CET 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:48:47PM +0100, jaume wrote:
> I have a midi controller and I get the events from the controller easily,
> using for example, puredata on linux box.
>
> What I want is to be able to open windows of applications with a
> concrete size and in a concrete place on the desktop.

i don't really get what this has to do with midi, but most x-applications
do provide a -geometry command line options for specifying window positions
and size..

kde applications can be remote controlled using dcop (there is a command
line tool 'dcop' to just send commands and a gui tool 'kdcop' which is
pretty handy for playing around with the features). This includes moving
and resizing windows.

technically it should also be possible to move and resize any x11 window by
interacting with the window manager - however, i don't know the apis to do
this with any of the window managers i know..

> (is it clear what I ask for?)

not sure. I hope my answer helps in any way..

yours,
 - clifford

--
For extra security, this message has been encrypted with double-ROT13.