[Metalab] Irensei - a combination of Go,Gomoku and Renju

Sven Guckes maillist-metalab at guckes.net
Thu Apr 24 16:30:00 CEST 2008

* matthias liszt <gunananda at yahoo.de> [2008-04-23 22:15]:
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irensei
>
> I downloaded a prog from the Japanese Irensei association
> and found the game quite interesting, although the prog
> was quite weak, because it did not know the effects
> of the "Treppe" and other things of Go.
>
> However, I find the game quite interesting and would
> like to test it with some other players and maybe we
> could write a server or so , just modifing an existing
> go client a little so that it can get a long with
> the new game which is only slightly different.

the usual questions arise:
which program did you download?
do you have access to the code?
what language has the code been written in?
what exactly do you want to change?

i suppose you want to change the rules to match Irensei.
this usually ask for a change of the interface and
therefore a change of the documentation, too.
have you considered all these changes yet?

what is the goal of this project?
do you simply want to offer a simulation
of the game for human players?
or do you really want to set up a full blown
automization with a service for many players?
what about a website and the community of players?

so - more info, please!

> I played against the prog and it seems to me that
> an average game has around 70 moves. Thus it is
> very fast compared to a Go game where 70 moves
> would be the start of the middle game or so.

did i hear you say "easy to calculate"?
hint: an average game of chess
usually has less moves than that -
and its board is pretty tiny, too. ;-)