[Metalab] c-base ALARMSTUFE ROT

Andreas Fuchs asf at boinkor.net
Thu Jul 5 08:18:00 CEST 2007

Iang wrote:
> Peter Kuhm wrote:
>
>> the c-base is entirely financed by monthly membership fees.
>
> Thanks,
>
> what is the c-base?  Is it the e.V that runs metalab?

No, it's the e.V. which runs the c-base club in Berlin. They are not
linked to the organizational structure of the metalab in any way.

>> thus the c-base doesn't have enough members to cover the monthly costs
>> (rent, power supply, etc...), the c-base has to let (lease) the mainhall
>> to people who organise events.
>> the rent is ca. 4.3k, with electricity and internet it's up to 5.5-6k.
>> due to a very high back payment for electricity (2.5k) in the end of
>> 2005 and for the basement rooms (2k) in 2006, the debts piled up and the
>> c-base had trouble to keep up with the monthly payments.
>> also the german collecting society GEMA repeatedly tries to squeeze
>> money out the c-base. so far for the how did it happen...
>

> to me, collecting society is a royalties association ...
> what has this to do with metalab?  why is metalab
> responsible for royalties?  is it playing too many MP3s???

Again, they don't have anything to do with the metalab on any
organizational level, so no collecting society is out to get us.

That said, however, it is deeply disturbing for many members of the
metalab to see a place as great (and as similar to the metalab) as the
c-base to go down because of financial problems. The c-base served as a
model for several of the choices made in defining the metalab.

Also, if c-base does go bankrupt, it will probably make similar clubs
(such as the metalab) look not so very good in the press... /-:

Hope that clears things up,
--
Andreas Fuchs, (http://|im:asf@|mailto:asf@)boinkor.net, antifuchs