[Metalab] [Metalab-announce] 23C3 Call for Papers

Paul Boehm enki at kybernet.org
Thu Aug 10 00:48:02 CEST 2006

Die mit hoher Wahrscheinlichkeit beste Veranstaltung des Jahres.
Deadline für Einreichungen dieses Jahr schon im September!

Be there or be square!

---

23rd Chaos Communication Congress 2006: Call for Participation

23C3: Who can you trust?
23rd Chaos Communication Congress
December 27th to 30th, 2006
Berlin, Germany

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/

Overview

The 23rd Chaos Communication Congress (23C3) is the annual four-day
conference of the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) on technology, society and
utopia. The Congress offers lectures and workshops on a multitude of
topics and encourages a critical-creative attitude towards technology.
Since 1984, the Congress has established itself as the "European Hacker
Conference" bringing together the brightest heads from Europe and all
over the world.

We want you to join and be a part of this unique event which serves as a
public platform for cross-culture inspiration and borderless networking.
23C3 is fun!

Topics

The 23C3 conference program is roughly divided into five general
categories. These categories should serve as guidelines for your
submissions and as a means of orientation for our visitors. However, it
is not mandatory for your talk to exactly match the descriptions below.
Anything that is interesting for our audience will be taken into
consideration.

Hacking

The 'Hacking' category addresses topics dealing with technology,
concentrating on current research with high technical merit.
Traditionally, the majority of all lectures at 23C3 revolve around hacking.

Topics in this domain include but are in no way limited to: network and
system security, programming, hardware hacking, cryptography, and
creative use of technology.

Science

The 'Science' category deals with current or future objects of
scientific research that have the potential to radically change our
lives, be it basic research or projects conducted for the industry.

We are looking for talks and papers on the current state of the art in
this domain, covering subjects such as nano technology, quantum
computing, high frequency physics, bio-technology, brain-computer
interfaces, automated analysis of surveillance cctv, etc.

Society

This category deals with the state of society itself. Anything about
politics and sociology with a relevance for hackers would go in here.

Possible topics could include wire-tapping laws, voting computers,
surveillance practices, net politics, intellectual property and
copyright issues, data retention, software patents, effects of
technology on kids, impact of technology on society in general and more.

Culture

Dealing with cultural mind expansion, this domain addresses the fringe
of the technoverse. Examples are Discordianism, geek entertainment,
video game culture, computer music, pixel art, and literature for hackers.

Community

The Chaos Communication Congress invites developers, projects and
activists to present themselves and their topics at the Congress.

Developer groups are also encouraged to ask for support to hold smaller
on-site developer conferences and meetings in the course of the Congress.

Publication

The Chaos Communication Congress Proceedings are published on paper and
online on the Internet. Only reviewed and accepted talks and
presentations will be published.

Audio and video recordings of the lectures will be published online in
various formats as well. All material will be available under the
Creative Commons "Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Germany"
(BY-NC-ND) license allowing free non-commercial redistribution of the
material as long as the original credit to authors and publishers is
retained.

Licence URI: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/de/

We encourage contributors to publish their work under a more liberal
license; if you wish to do so, please state this with your submission.
See below for submission guidelines.

Further Information

The Chaos Communication Congress is a non-profit oriented event and
speakers are not paid. Financial help on travel expenses and
accomodation is in principle possible but is to be agreed upon after
acceptance of the lecture/workshop. Please state your requirements when
submitting your lecture.

You can find the preliminary agenda and additional information on our
23C3 website at http://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/.

For further information and questions please feel free to contact
23c3-content at cccv.de

Submissions

All proposals MUST be submitted online using our online lecture
submission system at http://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/submission.
Please follow the instructions given there.

Please make sure you have read all information on what to submit below
and send us everything in one go. If you have any questions regarding
your submission, feel free to contact us at 23c3-content at cccv.de but do
not submit your lecture via e-mail.

Language

23C3 is an international event and we want to have a lot of interesting
talks in English for the benefit of our growing number of international
guests. So we are looking for speakers who can give lectures and/or
workshops in either English or German. While we are interested in
maximum quality of presentation, the topic and its relevance to our
community are our main concern. The chosen language is not a criteria
for accepting or rejecting a proposed lecture.

If you feel insecure talking in English, have received criticism on your
language skills from your audience before, or if you just fear that the
value and understandability of your lecture might suffer, please offer
your talk in German. Please tell us if you are a native speaker of
English or have similar skills, when submitting your lecture.

Lecture Requirements

Lectures should not exceed 45 minutes plus up to 10 minutes for
questions and answers. Longer timeslots are possible if we feel the
topic demands it (please tell us if necessary). Workshops should include
a talk on the basic principles and a practical hands-on section.

Required speaker information

Name: Full name of speaker
Public Name: Name you'd like to see published at 23C3
Other Names: nicknames, titles etc.
Contact information
Primary E-Mail address
Phone number(s)
Instant messaging address(es)
A photo in square format, min. 128x128 pixels or more (optional)
Public home page, weblog and other speaker-related websites
Abstract: Compact description of speaker (one sentence in the form "Hans
Meier is a ...")
Postal address
Bank information (if financial help is agreed on)
Expected day of arrival and departure
Be assured that your contact information and other private data will be
kept both secure and private: our dislike for spammers and obnoxious
privacy invaders is hard to put into words to say the least.

If you already submitted or held a lecture at one of our former
conferences there is a good chance we already have your contact data in
our system. Please use the same e-mail address to contact us and in your
lecture submission if possible.

Lecture information

Title: Name of event or lecture (max 40 letters)
Subtitle: Additional title description (a couple of words, optional)
(max. 100 letters)
Abstract: An abstract of the event's content (max. 250 letters)
(250 to 500 words)
Please state if you are going to submit a paper to be included in the
23C3 Proceedings
Please state if you are going to use slides in your talk and in which
format you are going to provide a copy
Duration of your talk
Language of the talk
Links to background information on the talk
Target Group: Beginners, Advanced Users, Pros
Resources you need for your talk (Internet, digital projector, overhead
projector, pens, assitant personal, presentation computer)
Related talks at 23C3 you know of (including previously submitted talks
by yourself)
A lecture logo, square format, min. 128x128 pixels (optional)
You can provide papers and slides upon submission or at the latest
before the given deadline.

Papers

Accepted speakers can optionally hand in a paper which will be published
with an ISBN in the 23C3 Proceedings. Papers will be accepted in
Portable Document Format (PDF) only and should be around 5 pages. The
PDF file must not be password-protected or contain other restrictions.
Paper size should be DIN A4 in portrait orientation. All margins must be
set to at least 2 cm (0.78 inches). Pictures should be greyscale and up
to 300dpi. Apart from that, you are free to use any layout you want.

Slides

Accepted speakers are asked to hand in slides used in their talks.
Please use a well-known format for your slides.

Dates and deadlines

The deadline for submission is September 15th, 2006.
Notification of acceptance will be sent by e-mail on October 15th, 2006
the latest. However, you may very well get your notification earlier
than that if needed.
Final papers or slides are due by November 15th, 2006.