[Metalab-announce] Fraktalparty: Mandelbrot ist endlich.

Amir Hassan amir at viel-zu.org
Wed Oct 20 12:17:44 CEST 2010

Benoit Mandelbrot - the incredible and beloved mathematician - passed away
last week at age 85.

Mandelbrot is most known for coining the term "fractal" and describing the
Mandelbrot set. A lot of us are huge fans of Mandelbrot's work on fractals
and fractal geometry and lots of our walls and computer screens have been
decorated with awesome and sometimes psychedelic renderings of
Mandelbrot's work.

Many of us, when first confronted with the concept of fractals, were
dumbfounded and hypnotized by the endless ever-changing, although similar
patterns arising from zooming in on the tiniest spots of the Mandelbrot
set, only to experiencing a near-head-exploding out-of-body experience
when realizing that this infinite world of detail is described by the
seemingly innocent mathematical formula Z=Z^2+C.

For everyone who know and love the work of Mandelbrot, for those who have
yet to discover it and for everyone in between, the Metalab is throwing a
party in remembrance and honor of Benoit Mandelbrot.

We will do our best to help you relive the initial experience of
discovering fractals and give you the chance to again fall in love with
the wonderful and psychedelic world of infinity and chaos.

Let's hunt the hidden dimension together!

----

http://metalab.at/wiki/Fraktalparty

When: Saturday October 23, Starting 21:00 and recursing into infinity
Where: Metalab, Rathausstrasse 6, 1010 Wien
What:
      Byting Electro with DJ Paul Raal
      Psychedelic 70ies fractal lounge
      Fractal cookies
      Fractal coding competition under influence
      Infinite chaos