[Ethereum] Off Track Ambassadors + 4th meetup in the works

Alexander Hirner a.hirner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 12:47:22 CEST 2014

Upon invitation from our fellow Etherealist David, me and Ralph visited lovely and small Slovenia to introduce the Vienna group and get some new input. The community is great there and we had people all over the spectrum. From Philosophers to Nano Scientists to well versed Web Entrepreneurs. Thx for hosting us! Especially to Luka and his Coworking space, Poligon [1]. Be sure to check it out if you need fresh and inspiring venue in Ljubljana!

Meanwhile, our Orga meetings cook(ed) up the new topics for the 4th meetup. Ralph will show us the latest high level programming languages you can write your contracts in. So no more fiddly EtherScripter, but serious production code :) Implementation quality has increased significantly over the last weeks due to work from the Ethereum core team [2]. Moreover, Swarm, the distributed storage system and pillar of the Ethereum Ecosystem will be investigated as progress on this side is expected.

Besides the latest news (the IPO ?!), I’ll have a talk about distributed reputation systems. Slick reputation management will be vital to a web enabled social fabric of the future. For a glimpse into that, see Vlad’s project Cryptoswartz [3], a reputation incentiviced P2P news aggregator. After all, self-determined people working in a distributed fashion is fuel for humanity’s innovative capacity [4].

Taking into considerations of other cool events at metalab, the 4th meetup will probably be held on the 13th of July. Final agenda and date will be fixed in the next week. For stuff in between, don’t hesitate to come by our weekly orga meetings [5].

Have a nice start into the weekend and cu!
Alex

[1] Poligon creative center: http://www.poligon.si/en/ and pics from the trip: https://plus.google.com/106654881879090282935/posts/aKXx3YKpKX6
[2] that is especially Mutan as go-like and Serpent as a python-like language
[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGTd1Bi7Jrc
[4] check out Niall Ferguson historical account on the interplay of hierarchies and networks : http://www.the-american-interest.com/articles/2014/06/09/networks-and-hierarchies/
[5] https://www.facebook.com/groups/682389035140507/ & https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/102375564350459969025