[Dome] Fwd: Re: strawbees mega

Florian Bittner f at gebenedeit.at
Mon Sep 21 16:36:45 CEST 2015

hi @all

welcome to dome at lists.metalab.at that i just created.
if you want to talk to all of us just send your mail to
dome at lists.metalab.at and everybody will receive a copy.
so far we are:

  * Olle Bjerkås <olle.bjerkas at gmail.com>
  * Maximilian Ernestus <maximilian at ernestus.de>
  * Lieven Standaert <lieven.standaert at gmail.com>
  * Ann Peeters <ann.peeters.email at gmail.com>
  * Florian Bittner <f at gebenedeit.at>

i am forwarding this message + attachments to you and please let me
introduce olle.
olle is from strawbees and his strawbees mega set can be used for dome
creation amongst other uses.
afaik you cant buy this yet but they are in the middle of evaluation of
long term setup.

as he is basically already testing out something that is CC-BY-SA-NC i
think it makes not much sense to work on our project from a COMMERCIAL
viewpoint.
because strawbee is already selling their small assembly products and is
building a worldwide sales network.
his design is based on 4mm PP..

i think it DOES make sense to continue the work on our projects with a
different approach in mind.

1. it should be 100% open source including the generators, the generated
files, manuals and everything else.
2. we should not add a NC clause and have people around the world copy
it and maybe even sell it, this could be an argument why to pick up the
design at all.
3. it should be different from what there already exists.

our design DOES differ, but not much and i think having a larger hole in
the middle to insert another rod is actually a very cool idea that we
might also condsider. our hole is 10mm so far.

i did not build a dome with the strawbees design yet (and neither with
my approach) but i wonder how this works at all.
the 5 and 6 struts connectors have all the same angle (72 and 60 degree) ?!
i think one has to use the other connectors and JOIN them.
that makes a difference to our design.
we could offer one connector set for a V3 design, one for a v4 design
and one for v5 and that is it.
we could run a kickstarter / indiegogo campaign to get the production
cost down for everybody and if this works out we could make some more
connectirs than needed and offer to sell them later on.
i dont know.. i have mixed feelings now that i know of the strawbees
project.
i dont want to harm their business and i dont want to "compete" at all.
i just want to make something cool and share it with the world.
on the other hand strabees i much more than just a dome construction
kit, you can make all kinds of structures with it.

what do you think?

so long
-flo