[Devops] cfgmgmtcamp 2014 (ghent, belgium)

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Tue Feb 4 19:00:24 CET 2014

Hi *,

Short recap of the cfgmgmtcamp in Ghent that was taking place until just
now: The event is a pretty good idea since almost everybody that attended
had been previously at FOSDEM (where the config management devroom as well
as Go, JS and Python devrooms where packed to their limit, wasn't able to
get in during both days) and Ghent is just a beautiful city. The whole
event is free (there's even free food and drinks) the venue is sufficiently
large enough. Most of the  prominent developers of automation and testing
software (i.e. puppet, chef, cfengine, ansible, saltstack) were actually
present. As were docker people and the vagrant/packer guy. We had an
interesting conversation with one of the digital ocean guys this afternoon.

I primarily followed puppet and chef stuff (all things TDD where possible),
keynotes and a short introduction to ansible. The cfgmgmtcamp guys told me
that sildes will be available on their website (or lanyrd - not sure):
http://cfgmgmtcamp.eu/

I feel that's a pretty productive meeting with a lot of Ops people from
large web companies present. Thus I hope there will be a continuation of
this event next year after FOSDEM (and possibly a lot more attendees since
word usually spreads quickly). So in comparison: this free, short event was
far more interesting and substantial than puppetconf (which some of the
attendees agreed to have been a complete bullshit conference, besides some
small exceptions, as I told the list back in august). If you're planning to
attend a similar conference, think about coming to FOSDEM and cfgmgmtcamp
next year. It's free, it's fun and a lot more useful than a 600 USD
conference where you won't be able to network with people due to hordes of
cloud people screaming buzzwords at the top of their lungs - yea. I tend to
exaggerate.

Digital Ocean seems to be desperately looking for engineers if any of you
is looking for a new occupation :P

I've given a short 20mins introduction to environment modules for non-HPC
people (i.e. FOSS developers) at FOSDEM that might be of interest for some
of you: http://
www.slideshare.net/a_z_e_t/how-to-save-the-environmentfosdem14hpcdevroom

Aaron