[Devops] Follow-up links regarding the Meetup yesterday

Stefan Schlesinger sts at ono.at
Tue Mar 19 20:49:49 CET 2013

	Hi

thank you for the links Aaron.

I'd also like to point out, there was some discussion about Chefs inherent
ability to process recipes from top to bottom and how to overcome this missing
feature in Puppet.

RI.Pienaar wrote about a nice module pattern, which lets you structure modules
likewise, without caring too much about dependencies at each resource
declaration.

http://www.devco.net/archives/2009/09/28/simple_puppet_module_structure.php

Another point which I missed in the comparison, was 'Hiera' (which was added to
the Puppet source tree with version 3.0). Basically it adds similar
functionality as Chef's json attributes. In since Puppet 3.0 it looks up class
parameters automatically.

A..

class ntp ($timeservers) {}

..would issue a hiera lookup for $ntp::timeservers and thus allows module
authors to provide sane defaults, which can easily be overwritten when you want
to integrate the module into your environment.

Stefan