[Devops] FOSDEM 2013 & next Meetup

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Fri Jan 4 09:36:40 CET 2013

Hi fellow Hackers and DevOpers!

Long time, no read(2).

I got invited by the HPCugent people to FOSDEM in brussels this year (2-3th feb. - it's on a weekend). It's one of the biggest open-source hackathons in Europe and as developers and operation guys you should feel invited too. I already talked to a couple of people from Austria that will also be attending, we're thinking of doing a meet-up there.

Back to HPCugent, there is something this list might interest. Not all of you have the need to build software with various compilers, toolchains and so forth and most rely on precompiled packages (i hope you are familiar with FPM [0] though). HPCugent wrote a tool similar to home-brew to do the job for you [1] - get src, deps, build and write appropriate Modules for the package. Modules has been around for a long time, but very few people outside of academia seem to know it. It eases changing within different compilers, toolchains, python, ruby and other software packages (e.g. `module load python/3` or `module load compiler/icc`). You might have some use for it.

more info on fosdem: https://fosdem.org/2013/
quote: "FOSDEM is a free event that offers open source communities a place to meet, share ideas and collaborate.
It is renowned for being highly developer-oriented and brings together 5000+ geeks from all over the world."

Also i hope there will be a DevOps meet up again sometime in the metalab *looksatrobeandmaciej*. I've been doing a lot of different stuff over the last few months including CI/Delivery, high-speed cached HTTP based Filesystems for software shares in a NAT environment and so forth. If you're interested i will hold a short talk on an upcoming meeting in the metalab!

[0] - https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm
[1] - http://hpcugent.github.com/easybuild/
[2] - http://modules.sourceforge.net/
[3] - https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2110217.2110225