[Devops] Topics next devops meetup

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Wed Jun 20 15:18:49 CEST 2012

by the way: i could talk about openbsd's pf (packet firewall) on one
of the meetups. i've used pf as well as netfilter/iptables and other
software or hardware firewalls extensively and came to the conclusion
that netfilter is well written, but the interface (iptables) is simply
unusable bullshit, with me ending up using ubuntus "ufw" (no advanced
features, ruleset based on pf - btw.) on a lot of linux machines. i
also never found a useable wrapper (shorewall seems "ok"). as i
mentioned on our meeting yesterday; openbsd is barely useable anymore
due to driver, fascist-anti-gpl-license bullshit and a very small
community. but freebsd is one of the best routing/server operating
systems i've ever worked with, and it offers fully ported pf support.
openbsd also developed an HA solution for pf (called pf-carp) and
openbgpd (which, to be honest, i've never used, but know some ISPs in
vienna that do), which are widely ported.

- http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/
- http://www.openbgpd.org/
- http://wiki.version6.net/openbgpd

if you're interested, let me know. i'm not sure how many people use
BSD or un!x anymore :)