[Devops] Yesterday's meetup - slides & links

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed Feb 22 19:12:11 UTC 2012

hi,

Maciej Pasternacki wrote:

> Thanks for getting there in person and over the wire(less), and for great demos/discussion!

I really enjoyed finally meeting someone to discuss and gather feedback
from :-) as well as new ideas for future directions, just like the
"message queueing" which seems to become pretty popular.

> Tools mentioned:
> Icinga: https://www.icinga.org/ (new web ui demo: http://icinga-web.icinga.org/, classical ui demo: http://demo.icinga.org/)

the mentioned demo virtual appliances for debian/centos/suse are best to
fetch from here:
https://www.icinga.org/2012/01/25/icinga-virtual-appliances-for-opensuse-centos-debian/
packages here: https://www.icinga.org/download/packages/

and to explain why some people in minnesota don't like me ;-)
https://www.icinga.org/2011/11/03/icinga-vs-nagios-a-developers-comparison/

> Negios check_mk: http://mathias-kettner.de/check_mk.html

just to note, that integrates with icinga pretty well too. especially on
debian squeeze, you can take the python parts from testing
(check-mk-server, check-mk-config-icinga) and install it like backports.
that does not count for all binary compiled packages though. check_mk
itsself remains a pita to create packages from.

i currently lack of time in order to write some howtos onto the icinga
wiki... the online docs of checkmk are sometimes wrong or not really
telling.

furthermore, for processing performance data (provided by plugins!) into
rrd, pnp4nagios is pretty straight forward to setup
(https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Setting+up+PNP+with+Icinga) and
got packages in debian squeeze-backports as well as repoforge rpms.

http://docs.pnp4nagios.org/pnp-0.6/start

> Next meetup is on Tuesday, March 20. Same place, same time. Be there!

already saved the date :)

> Any ideas for a topic/presentation welcome :)

if i get the time to hack around with icinga-mq i might take that with me.
https://www.icinga.org/2011/10/10/feature-preview-icingamq-for-high-performance-large-scale-monitoring/
https://git.icinga.org/?p=icinga-mq.git;a=summary

another topic i am currently working on are different data storage types
next to rrd for longer aggregation (aka "i wanna know what dns dos
happened on 21,1,2011 10:35")  like graphite (whisper) or the rdbms
attempts (on icinga scope - inGraph, on dns scope - dscng). that's yet
unclear if this can result in actual "show a demo".

if you got some icinga/nagios scoped topics or ideas, we can talk about
that as well :)

talking about monitoring toolsets - the current nagios-plugins devs
suffer from contributions and time. that would be worth a discussion as
well which monitoring plugins are there, and which ones should most
likely be added/compiled somewhere (if that hasn't happened somewhere in
the past).

kind regards,
michi

ps: some contact info below; twitter, irc, soup: dnsmichi

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email:  michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at