[Devops] Job: IT-Allrounder

Michael Renner michael.renner at amd.co.at
Tue May 24 21:49:34 CEST 2011

On May 24, 2011, at 16:32 , Jozef Kutej wrote:

> On 2011-05-24 13:26, Michael Renner wrote:
>>> when will the companies learn that - junior + junior is not more then a senior?
>>
>> Your point being?
>
> if you ask where is me as a point in there, i'm surly on the left side of that
> "equation" :-) [1]
>
> and the real point is that there are problems that won't be solved at all
> without enough experience. heh and right, that's obvious.

Every company gets the employees it deserves. Every culture the members it nourishes. That won't help you in the short term but makes moving on easier ;).

> might be interesting to list some by the name. i've already asked a person whose
> opinion i would respect and the reply was:
>
> <cite>
> Wow: Vienna + interesting work + IT.
> I would say: pick one! :-))
> </cite>

I'd raise that to "pick two".

As a developer it's much easier, in operations I usually tend to look at companies with a Web focus since they're usually a bit leaner on the process side of things.

From the companies with an established and verified business model and a concrete vision I'd check (in no specific order)

*) Tupalo
*) 123people
*) bwin (no, seriously, heard good stories from people there)
*) ÖAMTC (David Gabriel gave a nice presentation on how they tend to do things)

And last but not least it's also in your hand to create a constructive and nourishing environment. Only if you're facing environments which don't have a perspective or are actively sabotaging a betterment it's time to move on.

best,
Michael