[Devops] Next meetup 19.04, Metalab anniversary 28.04

Maciej Pasternacki maciej at pasternacki.net
Wed Mar 30 18:56:15 CEST 2011

Hi all,

1. For those who weren't present in March: next meetup is on Tuesday,
April 19th. Tony will give a talk about using Kanban methodology in
operations (please correct me if I got it wrong).

2. Right after that, on April 25-30, is Metalab's fifth birthday:
http://metalab.at/wiki/5_Jahre_Metalab .  On Thursday the 28th all
different user groups will be present; yesterday I did a quick
brainstorm with Tony about whether we want to be there (we do), and what
do we want to show.

Initial results are: first, we want to be able to quickly explain what
devops is about and what do we do in our group. For this we can quickly
adapt my lightning talk on "what is devops" from Metaday #36
(http://www.slideshare.net/mpasternacki/devops-lightning-talk) - any
other ideas?

Second, we may want to do a demo of toolkits. I can prepare a demo of
spinning up a server for a sample "hello world" webapp using Chef (+
possibly Capistrano - but not necessarily). Maybe some live coding on
this setup. Showing "nightmare scenario" (you get paged that tornado has
sucked in your datacenter - all you have is backups and chef repo; let
me show you how you can handle *that*, and how your bottleneck can be
restoring data from backups). For the demo (this or any other within
reason) I can donate needed EC2 cycles.

Other idea for the demo is how Chef/Puppet can be used both with
production servers and with Vagrant to let developer create a VM with
clone of production setup.

Maybe someone of you will be able to do the same for Puppet - then we
can do a live flame war or races (who gets faster from pressing enter to
having a working webapp? Optimizing the demo cookbooks/manifests as a
topic for live hacking?).

Any other ideas for demos? Anything else? Somebody willing to cooperate?

For cooperation I've set up a shared directory on Dropbox; if you want
to join, send to me your Dropbox e-mail address and I'll add you.

On Wednesday the 27th there may be some time/place left for a workshop
or maybe a presentation. Any takers? Ideas?

Cheers,
Maciek.

P.S. Tomorrow early morning I'm leaving Vienna for extended weekend, so
I will reply to this thread on Sunday or Monday; I also won't be able to
be present at Thursday organization meeting for the anniversary, but
I'll make up for this next week.