[Devops] Fave command line tools?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Mar 2 20:17:17 CET 2011

* Michael Renner [Mit Mär 02, 2011 at 06:48:08 +0100]:
> On Mar 2, 2011, at 16:46 , astera wrote:

> > I'm wondering, what are your most favourite - and probably hideously
> > ignored by the rest of the world - command line tools?

> From my PoV:

> iostat  - It's about IOPS, not MiB/sec
> ethstatus - km/h for NICs
> dstat - all of the above, and some more
> tshark - if tcpdump -X gets too nasty and you're too lazy for proper wireshark
> grep | awk | sort | uniq -c
> perl -l, -n, -p, -e (perldoc perlrun)
> watch in combination with /proc/$PID/fd, /proc/$PID/fdinfo - instant progressbar!
> pv - progress bars for pipes!

What comes to my mind:

ack-grep - grep-like program specifically for large source trees
apg - Automated Password Generator
buffer - very fast reblocking program
clusterssh - administer multiple ssh or rsh shells simultaneously
curl - Get a file from an HTTP, HTTPS or FTP server
doscan - port scanner for discovering services on large networks
eatmydata - library and utilities designed to disable fsync and friends
etckeeper - store /etc in git, mercurial, bzr or darcs
fio - Flexible I/O Tester
gddrescue - the GNU data recovery tool
htop - interactive process viewer
incron - cron-like daemon which handles filesystem events
inoticoming - trigger actions when files hit an incoming directory
interdiff (of patchutils): shows differences between two unified diff files
iotop - simple top-like I/O monitor
iptstate - A top-like display of IP Tables state table entries
ldapvi -  perform an LDAP search and update results using a text editor
libwww-perl with its lwp-request, GET, POST, HEAD - Simple command
    line user agent, lovely to use for checking HTTP stuff where
    curl/nmap/... are overkill
most - Pager program similar to more and less
multitail - browse through several files at once
netselect - speed tester for choosing a fast network server
nmap - The Network Mapper (has a really interesting scripting enginge!)
rsync - everyone knows it, but provides options like --progress
        --bwlimit=... I like that much that I prefer it over cp
        whenever possible
sfdisk - Partition table manipulator for Linux (nice for cloning
       partitions to disks)
socat - multipurpose relay for bidirectional data transfer (netcat++ :))
swaks - SMTP command-line test tool
testdisk - Partition scanner and disk recovery tool
tmux - terminal multiplexer (screen in new/better/fresh/...)
unp - unpack (almost) everything with one command

Several tools out of moreutils, like:

chronic - runs a command quietly unless it fails
mispipe - pipe two commands, returning the exit status of the first
sponge - soak up standard input and write to a file
ts - timestamp standard input
vidir - edit a directory in your text editor
vipe - insert a text editor into a pipe

With my Debian devops hat on, the package devscripts provides
several nice tools I daily use, like:

debcheckout: checkout the development repository of a Debian package
debdiff: compare file lists in two Debian packages
dget: Download Debian source and binary packages
grep-excuses: search the testing excuses files for a specific maintainer
rc-alert: list installed packages which have release-critical bugs
rmadison: Remotely query the Debian archive database about packages

I like git for its awesome fast "grep" feature (I run 'git init ;
git add .' on all stuff I've to work with it on the command line,
and the git diff --color-words, and... oh git rocks. ;)

Oh and Zsh as the one and only interactive shell for power users -
as main stage for starting all of the above tools. ;)

regards,
-mika-
--
http://michael-prokop.at/  || http://adminzen.org/