[Devops] Next meetup 19.04, Metalab anniversary 28.04

Maciej Pasternacki maciej at pasternacki.net
Tue Apr 5 23:04:48 CEST 2011

On 02-04-2011 18:09, Michael Renner wrote:
>> Any other ideas for demos? Anything else? Somebody willing to cooperate?
>
> I wouldn't go too much into details of specific tools/solutions but
> what we can do and how this might look like in the real world. Better
> show how agile infrastructure benefits the enduser/developer/business
> than going to explain the different shades of configuration management.

Yup, you're right. No point in having "chef vs puppet" or such - this
misses the point. It was a gadget fan in me speaking. Showing off tools
can have a good effect as showing real benefits of agile automated
infrastructure: (a) tornado scenario / window test / chaos monkey - ease
of installing and reinstalling, bottleneck is user data; (b)
repeatability - e.g. possibility to recreate production configuration in
a Vagrant box on a development machine, creating test setups etc; (c)
recipes/manifests as executable documentation.

My take is "humane" aspect is for presentation (5-10min pitch) and
talking, tools are for showing. Maybe some workshops? But what could we
do without drilling deep into details of specific toolchain?

--m