No subject

Thu Dec 16 20:53:08 CET 2010

second on ack (DWIM grep replacement) and apg (password generator)
mtr - Matt's Traceroute
tcptraceroute and tcping - useful for debugging routing over
firewalls/NATs/transparent proxies
htop - nicer and more colorful top
wget - http client/downloader
locate - cached database of all files on your system
at - one-time process scheduler
nmon - top+iotop on steroids
innotop - top-like status for MySQL
strace - see what system calls a Linux process uses, in real time (use
-p to attach to an already running process)
sudo -u someone /sbin/killall5
sudo -i - seriously, what's the thing with "sudo su -"?
tail -f - follow a file (e.g. a logfile); works with multiple files too
say (on OSX) - to let me know that the three-line shell pipeline I left
running has finished
offlineimap - mirror IMAP server to a local folder hierarchy
watch - watch specified command's output as it runs in loop
diffstat - summary of a patch file / diff output

'-h' option to most commands printing size of something in GNU toolchain
(ls -l, du, =85) - gives human-friendly amounts (in k, M, G)
'f' option to Linux 'ps' (as in "ps faxuw") - prints processes as a
pretty family tree, with usual 'ps' details omitted by pstree

TO CHECK OUT:
GNU parallel - run commands, as name suggests, in parallel + semaphores,
child process limiting, =85